GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering is a major Indian entrance examination which gets conducted annually all over the globe. The exam is one of the toughest exams in the country and focuses on evaluating the conceptual and numerical knowledge of students. Students who have completed their undergraduate degree of Engineering in Science & Technology are eligible to appear in the exam. 7 Indian Institute of Technology and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore together conduct the GATE. IIT and IISc work on the part of the National Coordination Board, GATE to organize GATE exam.
The GATE scorecard is of immense value. It opens up the pathway for higher studies. A valid GATE scorecard is a must for pursuing post-graduation or doctoral degree programs in the reputed institutes in the country. It is also a gateway to the Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) and the CSIR fellowships. The aspirants who score exceptionally well in the exam are, also, provided scholarships by the MHRD & other Government firms.
Public sector Undertakings are Government corporate bodies. PSUs share a massive 51% of its share with both Central and State Government. PSU behaves and performs just like a private company. They generally select students as Engineer Trainees at entry-level, but for this, an aspirant must possess a valid GATE score.
More than 2000 jobs are available at leading PSU’s in India. To crack the interview, an aspirant must have sharp and deep technical skills and knowledge of corresponding engineering courses. GATE is one such examination which tests the technicalities and aptitude of students. PSU opening notifications are provided through various advertisements nationally.
The top 40 leading PSUs recruiting students based on the GATE scores are:
- Indian Oil
- Delhi Development Authority (DDA)
- Maharashtra State Electricity Transmission Co. Ltd. (MAHATRANSCO)
- Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Power System Operation Corporation Ltd. (POSOCO)
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PCIL)
- Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL)
- Punjab State Transmission Corporation Limited (PSTCL)
- West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL)
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL)
- Airport Authority of India (AAI)
- Cabinet Secretariat
- IRCON International Limited
- Vizag Steel Plant/ Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited (RINL)
- Tehri Hydro Development Corporation India Ltd. (THDC)
- Rail India Technical and Economic Service (RITES)
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL)
- Odisha Power Generation Corporation Limited (OPGC)
- Krishak Bharati Cooperative Limited (KRIBHCO)
- Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL)
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited (MECL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation Ltd. (NLC Ltd.)
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI)
- Delhi Transco Limited
- Tata Power
- Haryana Power Utilities
- National Textiles Corporation (NTC)
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC)
- National Highway Authority of India (NHAI)
- National Fertilizers Limited (NFL)
- National Buildings Construction Corporation Ltd. (NBCC)
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML)
- Institute of Plasma Research (IPR)
- Educational Consultants of India Limited (EDCIL)
Coaching for cracking the GATE exam are varied. PSUs hiring through GATE exam are very strict with their hiring policies. To crack such an exam, it is essential for an aspirant to train himself/ herself in the best possible manner. It is not always easy to self-prepare one-self for GATE exam. Most of the aspirants require formal coaching for focussed guidance. It is essential since great coaching can, not only effectively prepare the aspirants, but also help them understand their capabilities in a more profound manner. A well-known institute that has been providing quality coaching for GATE exam is MADE EASY. Known as the leaders in GATE coaching MADE EASY spend a significant amount of time researching their educational content before imparting it to the aspirants. They provide both online and offline coachings giving flexibility to the aspirants. Moreover, they also offer scholarships to aspirants who perform brilliantly in the National Scholarship Test conducted by them. This scholarship is on the tuition fee for the coaching and ranges from 10% to 100% of the tuition fee.
Another impressive fact about MADE EASY is that it continuously improves the teaching methodology which makes learning more efficient and effective for the aspirants especially those who aim at getting a PSU job.
PSUs majorly fall into three categories, based on certain frameworks developed by the government of India. The parameters include revenue exchanges, gross income, global participation, stock measures as well as income bearing.
The categories are-
- Maharatna PSU
- Navaratna PSU
- Mini-ratna PSU
There are varied reasons why aspirants prefer PSUs through their GATE scores. The PSU jobs have many advantages over employment in other sectors. The reason why an aspirant should take an interest in PSU jobs is as follows:
- Selection is through GATE- a computer-based test or CBT. Therefore marks cannot be manually altered.
- There are less to no chances of biased results and partiality.
- The selection being through GATE scores is certain and is not challenged.
- The PSU jobs are secured and reliable.
- The PSUs focus highly on Research and development.
- The pay scales are higher and strictly set according to the pay commissions.
- PSU jobs come with foreign tours.
- The leaves are extendable as per requirement and request.
- The employees receive benefits from departments ranging from Human Resource to Healthcare.
The question arises, now, that how to apply for the PSU jobs? Don’t worry, we have you covered on this, as well.
MODES OF APPLICATION FOR PSUs THROUGH GATE
Aspirants can apply in different PSUs based on their preferred mode of application and also on the ways of application available to them. Some departments in PSUs accept both offline and online applications whereas some only accept online applications.
- For the offline process, the candidates have to first download the department’s application form from the corresponding website. Then the application form has to be filled correctly. After that, all the relevant documents must be attached. The departments mention a specific format for the filling the application forms. This format must be taken into consideration carefully by all the aspirants. The application fee has to be paid thereafter. Then all the papers and proofs are to be sent to the departmental address by post.
- For online application, the candidates first must log in to the relevant website and register themselves. Then they must fill the application form and upload all the relevant documents as proof. Thereafter, the application fee must be paid online for the final submission to be accepted. After completing all these steps, the aspirant has to submit the application by clicking on the submit button.
It is to be noted carefully that in both these modes of application, the aspirants have to enter their valid GATE score as well as the GATE application details.
Now, that the application has been successfully submitted, what next? Good question. There are a few significant facts that every aspirant should be well aware of about PSU jobs through GATE. We bring you the % most essential things that every aspirant should know and remember when applying for PSU jobs and especially when applying through GATE.
GATE is the only qualifying examination for PSU jobs. A valid GATE score is a must for the consideration of an aspirant’s applicant for the vacancy.
Each department or corporation sets a different cut-off based on the highest and average GATE score obtained in every stream. Thus before applying to any department of the PSUs, the aspirant must first check that their GATE score is valid.
Every PSU has their unique procedure for the selection. Some of them consider GATE score a screening score. After the screening, the selected aspirants are called for a group discussion or GD round. This is followed by a round of Group Task or GT and a PI or Personal Interview. The final list of selection is based on the scores that the aspirants obtain in these three rounds.
Aspirants are to note that there are some PSUs consider the GATE score for direct hiring without any further ado.
Once a candidate confirms to fulfill the vacancy, the candidate usually has to sign a contract of service bond period. This bond ranges from a bond of 3 years to 5 years and the penalty is Rs. 300000/- or higher in case the bond is not satisfied.
Career Advancement is sure in any PSU. The Human Resource policies in PSUs are stable and unchallenged. The time it takes for a candidate to get promoted from Entry Level-1 to Entry Level-2 in a PSU department is about two years and the promotions are guaranteed unlike in private sectors. Thus there is no stagnation in growth in PSUs. It is also to be noted that experience, promotions, and seniority play a vital role in the advancement of a candidate in PSU.
COMPENSATION AND REWARD
PSU along with a secured job also offers a good pay scale. Besides this, PSUs also provide varied facilities and rewards to candidates. Example: the base pay scale for Entry Level-1 candidate is Rs. 23,000 to Rs. 46,500 in Indian Oil Corporation Limited. Rs. 24,900 to Rs. 50,500 for all candidates in the same level in Oil and Natural Gas department. Moreover, the candidates also receive allowances and benefits from time to time. These include Dearness Allowance at variable rates, healthcare facilities, housing allowance. The life and life balance are reported to be great in PSU jobs. This encourages better performance and attracts more aspirants for PSU jobs after GATE exam.
SKILL ENHANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
There are immense opportunities to enhance one’s skills in the PSUs. The PSUs conduct various in-house training programs regularly to boost the performance of their employees. Many PSUs have also set up learning and research hubs in each of its locations. The companies also provide international standard learning resources and opportunities to executives at all levels.
PREPARING FOR A SINGLE EXAM AND CREDIBILITY OF GATE
Hiring through GATE saves lots of time and effort of the PSUs. GATE is a single exam. It tests the candidate’s concept and knowledge in their field of engineering as well as their analytical and decision-making capabilities. To crack this exam one has to know discipline well. This
Also, GATE is a computer-based test or CBT. Therefore marks cannot be manually altered. This ensures that there are absolutely less or no chances of biased results and partiality. Thus, the selection through GATE scores is certain and is not challenged anywhere.
A TIP FOR THE ASPIRANTS
The demand for PSU jobs as extreme. The best way to prepare for GATE is to follow the curriculum of the premier institutes in India. The level of preparation required to crack GATE exam to get into the PSUs have made premier institutions take massive steps. These steps make the students aware of the GATE and its preparation techniques. The courses conducted in the premier institutions like Indian Institutes of Technology and National Institutes of Technology have specific sections aimed to prepare the students for various competitive exams like GATE. They groom the students from an early stage to prepare them well for the GATE exam. They make sure that their curriculum provides the students with the extensive knowledge required for cracking such a tough nut with high scores and bagging a PSU job. Thus while preparing for GATE, the aspirants should strictly follow the curriculum, corresponding to the subjects included in the GATE syllabus, of these institutions.
Coaching Institutes like MADE EASY, also, play a vital role in grooming the aspirants for GATE exam by keeping their students informed of the PSU forms and the latest vacancies. In this way, students are well groomed and formed for such stringent examinations like GATE and this, in turn, helps them perform better as well as increase their chances of getting a PSU job. Thus aspirants aiming for higher scores should also look into enrolling into the classes of MADE EASY or arranging for their GATE preparation notes.