Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) is an Indian state owned oil and gas company with registered office at Mumbai and primarily headquartered in New Delhi. It is commonly known as Indian Oil.
Indian Oil’s business interests overlap the entire hydrocarbon value-chain, including refining, pipeline transportation, marketing of petroleum products, exploration and production of crude oil, natural gas and petrochemicals.
Indian Oil has also ventured into alternative energy and globalization of downstream operations. The organisation has subsidiaries in Sri Lanka (Lanka IOC), Mauritius (Indian Oil (Mauritius) Ltd) and the Middle East (IOC Middle East FZE).
There are 7 major Business Divisions in the organisation:
- Refineries Division
- Pipelines Division
- Marketing Division
- R&D Division
- Petrochemicals Division
- Exploration & Production (E&P) Division
- Explosives and Cryogenics Division
Indian Oil continues to expand its business operations abroad through its overseas establishments in Sri Lanka, Mauritius, the UAE, Singapore, USA, Myanmar and Bangladesh.
The company’s operations include refineries, pipelines and marketing and their portfolio of brands includes Indane, LPGas, SERVO lubricants, XTRAPREMIUM petrol and XTRAMILE diesel and Propel Petrochemicals. In exploration and production, Indian Oil’s domestic portfolio includes 11 oil and gas blocks and two coal bed methane blocks while the overseas portfolio consists of 10 blocks spread across Libya, Iran, Gabon, Nigeria, Timor-Leste, Yemen and Venezuela.
IOCL Locations in and Around India
1. Refinery locations of IOCL
- Barauni Refinery
- Bongaigaon Refinery
- CPCL, Chennai
- CPCL, Narimanam
- Digboi Refinery
- Guwahati Refinery
- Haldia Refinery
- Koyali Refinery
- Mathura Refinery
- Panipat Refinery
- Paradip Refinery
2. Pipelines of IOCL
- Salaya – Mathura crude oil pipeline
- Mundra – Panipat crude oil pipeline
- Paradip-Haldia-Barauni crude oil pipeline
- Koyali – Mohanpura product pipeline
- Koyali – Ahmedabad product pipeline
- Guwahati – Siliguri product pipeline
- Barauni – Kanpur product pipeline
- Haldia – Mourigram – Rajbandh product pipeline
- Haldia – Barauni product pipeline
- Panipat – Jalandhar LPG pipeline
- Dadri – Panipat R-LNG pipeline
- Koyali – Ratlam product pipeline
- Koyali – Dahej/ Hazira product pipeline
- Panipat – Bhatinda product pipeline
- – Rewari product pipeline
- – Ambala – Jalandhar product pipeline
- Mathura – Delhi product pipeline
- – Bharatpur product pipeline
- – Tundla product pipeline
- Chennai – Trichy – Madurai product pipeline
- – Bangalore product pipeline
- -ATF pipeline
- Bangalore ATF pipeline
- Kolkata ATF pipeline
- Paradip – Raipur – Ranchi product pipeline
- Jaipur Panipat Naphtha Pipeline
- Paradip – Hyderabad product pipeline
3. Foreign subsidiaries of IOCL
- IndianOil (Mauritius) Ltd.
- IOC Middle East FZE
- IOC, in collaboration with Ola, launched India’s first electric charging station at one of its petrol-diesel stations in Nagpur.
- On 24 July 2017, IOCL announced that it was ranked 168th in the Fortune ‘Global 500’ listing for 2017. IOCL was the only Indian company in top 200 in the prestigious list.
Recruitment in IOCL
Indian Oil’s core business has been in the refining, transportation and marketing of petroleum products. To in line with India’s fast growing energy demand, the Company has over the years expanded its operations across the hydrocarbon value chain – upstream into oil & gas exploration & production and downstream into petrochemicals, besides diversifying into natural gas and alternative energy resources.
To keep up with this work every year IOCL releases vacancies for engineers of various branches. For some posts the recruitment is based on GATE exam, whereas for some separate exam is conducted.
The various posts available are:
- Graduate Engineers for recruitment as Engineers/Officers
- Post Graduate Engineers for recruitment as Research Officers in Research & Development Centre
- Post Graduates in Chemistry (with minimum of 2 years of relevant experience) as Assistant Officer (Quality Control)
1. Eligibility criteria for recruiting Engineers.
The recruitment is based on the GATE exam held every year by the GATE committee.
Aspirants interested in applying for the IOCL recruitment as engineers, must have passed qualifying degree examinations and awarded bachelor’s degree in engineering/technology (full time regular courses only)
For M. Tech. candidates:
Candidates pursuing their M. Tech, having their graduation in the specified disciplines are also eligible to apply. They are also required to apply and qualify in GATE 2019 in the specified GATE paper for each discipline.
For Integrated ME/M. Tech candidates:
Such candidates are also eligible to apply given they have completed or are completing the course requirement for BE/ B. Tech in one of the core disciplines advertised and have completed or are completing ME/M. Tech.
It is mandatory for the candidates to possess and produce both BE/B.Tech and ME/M.Tech degrees
during the time of selection and interview.
Candidates belonging to General & OBC-NCL categories must have secured minimum 65% aggregate marks.
Candidates of SC/ST/PWD categories are required to have obtained at least 55% aggregate marks.
This is upto the last semester/year examination at the time of applying.
However, for the final Selection the candidates have to submit their final mark sheet
Candidates who have completed or who are pursuing their graduation in combined/integrated disciplines/inter-disciplinary subjects like Mechatronics/Robotics etc will not be considered eligible.
Candidates belonging to General Category should not be more than 28 years of age and for Assistant Officers in Quality Control, the age limit is 30 years
Relaxation in upper age limit by 3 years for OBC (non-creamy layer).
5 years for SC/ST and 10 years for PWD candidates will be extended as per the Presidential Directives.
Age relaxation by 5 years for candidates domiciled in Jammu & Kashmir between 1.1.1980 and 31.12.1989.
Age relaxation by 5 years for Ex-servicemen & Commissioned Officers (including ECOs/SSCOs) subject to rendering minimum 5 years’ military service and fulfilment of other conditions prescribed by Government of India.
2. Educational Qualification for Engineers/Officers
|SNo.||Disciplines||Branches allowed||Discipline not allowed|
|1||Chemical engineering||Chemical Engineering/ Petrochemicals/ Polymer/ Plastic Engineering||Rubber/ Oil/ Paint Technology/ Surfactant Technology/ Ceramics Engineering|
|2||Civil engineering||Civil engineering||Construction/ Environmental/ Transportation|
|3||Computer Science & Information Technology||Computer Science & Information Technology||Information & Communications Technology|
|4||Electrical engineering||Elect Engineering/ Electrical & Electronics Engineering||Electr & Communication/ Telecommunication Engineering/ Power Engineering|
|5||Electronics and Communication Engineering||Electronics & Communications Engineering/ Electronics Engineering/ Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering||Avionics Engineering/ Electrical & Electronics Engineering/ Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering|
|6||Instrumentation Engineering||Instrumentation Engineering/Electronics & Instrumentation engineering/ Instrumentation & Control Engineering||Electronics & Communication Engineering/ Telecommunication Engineering|
|7||Mechanical engineering||Mechanical engineering||Biomedical Engineering/ Automation/ Automobile/ Industrial/ Manufacturing/ Power/ Production Engineering/ Mining Engg & Technology, Mining & Machinery/ Marine Engineering/ Textile Engineering/ Robotics|
|8||Metallurgical Engineering||Metallurgical Engineering/ Mineral/ Material Sciences|
* for the post of Asst. Quality Control Officers
|M.Sc in Chemistry or equivalent + 2 years relevant experience|
3. Educational Qualifications for Post Graduate Engineers as Research Officers
|SNo.||Department||Eligible branches||Non eligible branches|
|1.||For posting in Refining Technology, Battery and Modelling & Simulation departments||Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering including Chemical Technology/ Petrochemical and Petroleum Refinery Engineering/ Refining and Petrochemicals Engineering/ Petroleum Science & Technology/ Chemical Process Design/ Process Design Engineering/ Computer Aided Process & Equipment Engineering
Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering including Chemical Technology/ Petrochemical and Petroleum Refinery Engineering/ Refining and Petrochemicals Engineering
Masters degree in Catalyst/ Catalysis/ Plastic Engineering/ Bio-Medical / Rubber/ Oil/ Paint Technology/ Surfactant Technology/ Ceramics Engineering
AND Bachelor’s Degree in Plastic Engineering/ Bio- Medical / Rubber/ Oil/ Paint Technology/ Surfactant Technology/ Ceramics Engineering
|2.||For posting in Pipeline Research department (EC)||Masters Degree and Bachelor’s Degree in Electronics & Communication Engineering including Electronic Systems Engineering/Electronics Engineering/Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering||Masters and Bachelor’s Degree in Avionics Engineering/Electronics & Electrical Engineering/Instrumentation Engineering/Electronics & Instrumentation engineering|
|3.||For posting in Pipeline Research department (ME)||Masters Degree in Fluids & Thermal Engineering/
Fluid Mechanics Engineering/ Fluid Dynamics
Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Masters Degree in Thermal Engineering
Bachelors Degree in Automation/ Bio-medical Engineering/
Automobile/ Industrial/ Manufacturing/ Power/
Production Engineering/ Mining Engineering
Technology, Mining & Machinery/Marine
Engineering/ Textile Engineering/ Robotics/ Welding
|4.||For posting in Applied Metallurgy department||Masters Degree in Metallurgical Engineering including Metallurgy/ Coatings/ Corrosion Engineering/Mineral/ Material Science
Bachelors Degree in Metallurgical Engineering
including Mineral/ Material Science
4. Educational Qualifications for Post Graduates in Chemistry
- Qualifications: Candidates having M. Sc. in Chemistry (full-time regular course only) will be considered for recruitment as Assistant Officer (Quality Control) in Marketing Division. M. Sc. in Chemistry will mean M. Sc. or equivalent degree either in Inorganic/ Organic/ Analytical/ Physical/Applied Chemistry.Candidates from other branches of Chemistry viz Bio-Chemistry/ Geo-Chemistry etc. will not be considered as eligible.
- Pass percentage: Gen/OBC candidates must have a minimum of 60% while reserved candidates must have 55%.
- Experience: Essential – Minimum 2 years of experience (As on 30th June, 2019) in a Chemical Testing Laboratory on Testing/R&D/Quality Control. Desirable – Testing of petroleum products (fuel, lube, grease, used lubricants) petrochemicals etc. Conversant with BIS/ASTM/ISO/ IP specifications and test procedures
Experience after completion of M. Sc. (announcement of final result) will only be considered.
Any experience gathered after B. Sc. or as a short-term trainee (summer/ winter project etc) will not be considered. Teaching experience will not be considered
Selection procedure of IOCL
Candidates who qualify in GATE 2019 in their respective discipline will be eligible for shortlisting if they fulfil the other criteria specified by the organisation. IOCL releases the shortlisting status of the candidates on its official website, who will further participate in Group Discussion (GD), Group Task (GT) and Personal Interview (PI) for assessment of different facets of knowledge, skill, attitude and aptitude in case and based on all the final recruitment will be done.
The final merit will be prepared discipline-wise and for the candidates to be considered for the merit list, they are required to secure minimum 40% marks in GD/GT and PI.
While joining IOCL a service bond is required to be signed by all the candidates to serve the Corporation for a minimum period of three years from the date of joining. Failure to do so will result in the following compensation to be offered by the candidate to the organisation.
|Category||Engineers/ Post Graduate Engineers||Post Graduates in Chemistry|
|OBC (NCL)/SC/ST/Pwd||₹ 55,000||₹35,000|
|S No.||Engineers/ Post Graduate Engineers||Post Graduates in Chemistry|
|1||Starting basic pay of
Rs. 60,000/-per month
|Starting basic pay of
Rs. 50,000/-per month
|2||Total CTC = 17 Lakhs||Total CTC = 14 Lakhs|
Apart from the above mentioned pay the selected candidates are also eligible for various benefits. They receive Dearness Allowance (DA) and other allowances, according to the rules of the Corporation in force, as amended from time to time.
Other allowances /benefits also include HRA/subsidized housing accommodation (depending upon place of posting), medical facilities, performance related pay, gratuity, contributory provident fund, employees pension scheme, group personal accident insurance scheme, leave encashment, leave travel concession (LTC)/ LFA, contributory superannuation benefit fund scheme, conveyance advance/ maintenance reimbursement, performance related incentives (PRP) etc as per rules of the corporation.
Nature of job
Candidates selected in IOCL as Engineers can be posted in one of the divisions of Indian Oil – Refineries, Marketing, Pipelines and Business Development or in Corporate functions, eg., Information Systems, Optimisation or in Subsidiary/Joint Venture companies.
- In Refineries Division: Based on the qualification of the candidate, the postings of Engineers may be in engineering services, process, production, projects, power plant, maintenance, inspection etc.
- Marketing Division: Engineers here may be posted in Aviation Services, Engineering, Operations, Maintenance & Inspection, Sales and Marketing, Technical Services, Quality Control etc.
- Pipelines Division: Engineers will be posted in operations and maintenance, construction, projects, etc.
- Business Development: Engineers may be posted in petrochemicals & polymer projects, operations, sales/marketing, gas, renewable energy & sustainable development etc.
- Petroleum Engineers: the candidates will be posted in the Exploration and Production Business Vertical of Business Development Division.Their job profile will inter alia include supervising drilling operations and preparing drilling engineering design, calculations and drilling programmes for the blocks operated by IndianOil, monitoring of production performance for producing upstream assets of IndianOil, carrying out reservoir engineering simulation and modelling for optimal reservoir management.They will also be entrusted with the responsibility of monitoring field related activities in the non-operating blocks, carrying out techno-economic analysis, contracting and material procurement activities related to Indian Oil’s E&P assets.
- Polymer Engineers: These candidates will be placed in Business Development Group for primarily marketing of Polyolefin products and build market by growing customer base and applications and by maintaining customer relationship.They will be managing distribution and distribution network related activities, manage MIS and gather market intelligence. They will also be entrusted with application development projects for customers, obtain OEM/ Statutory Approvals and develop market for new product lunch.
Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) is India’s flagship national oil company with business interests straddling the entire hydrocarbon value chain – from refining, pipeline transportation and marketing of petroleum products to exploration & production of crude oil & gas, marketing of natural gas and petrochemicals.
The company is the leading Indian corporate in the Fortune ‘Global 500’ listing, ranked at the 168th position for the year 2017. IOCL is a public sector undertaking. Government of India held 56.98% stake in IOCL as on 31 December 2017.
IOCL is a dream job for many engineers and a great organisation to work with. A Fortune 500 IOCL offers its employees the best of both corporate and government worlds. With immense growing and learning opportunities it is the most coveted job among engineering graduates.