Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) is the largest steel-making company in India and one of the seven Maharatna’s of the country’s Central Public Sector Enterprises. It produces iron and steel at five integrated plants and three special steel plants, located principally in the eastern and central regions of India and situated close to domestic sources of raw materials. SAIL manufactures and sells a broad range of steel products.
The Government of India owns about 75% of SAIL’s equity and retains voting control of the Company and by virtue of its ‘Maharatna’ status, enjoys significant operational and financial autonomy.
Divisions of SAIL
SAIL operates and owns 5 integrated steel plants at Bhilai, Rourkela, Durgapur, Bokaro and Burnpur (Asansol) and 3 special steel plants at Salem, Durgapur and Bhadravathi.
It also owns a Ferro Alloy plant at Chandrapur. As a part of its global ambition, the company is undergoing a massive expansion and modernisation programme involving upgrading and building new facilities with emphasis on state of the art green technology. According to a recent survey, SAIL is one of India’s fastest growing Public Sector Units. Besides, it has R&D centre for Iron & Steel (RDCIS), centre for Engineering in Ranchi, Jharkand.
SAIL Refractory Units (SRU)
- SAIL Refractory Unit, Bhandaridah in Jharkhand
- Bhilai in Chhattisgarh
- IFICO, Ramgarh in Jharkhand
- Ranchi Road in Jharkhand
- Centre for Engineering and Technology
- Research and Development Centre for Iron and Steel
- SAIL Consultancy Organisation
- Environment Management Division
*This article is not a job notification and is written with the sole purpose of providing relevant information.
Recruitment at SAIL
Every year the Recruitment division of Steel Authority of India (SAIL) invites applications for recruitment to the post of Executive and Non-Executive.
Non executive and executive recruitment.
1. Educational Qualification:
- Management: Bachelor Degree in Fire Engineering from a recognized University.
- Junior Manager (Safety): Bachelor Degree in any branch of Engineering/Technology from a govt. recognized University.
- Deputy Manager: Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized University.
- Junior Manager (Quality Testing Ultrasonic): Bachelor Degree in Metallurgy from a recognized University.
- Fire Operator (Trainee): Graduation in any stream with sub officer course from National Fire Service College, Nagpur and Valid Driving Licence for Heavy Motor Vehicles.
- Operator-cumTechnician (Boiler Operator): Matriculation with 03 years full-time Diploma in Mechanical/ Electrical/ Chemical/ Power Plant/ Production/ Instrumentation Engineering from Govt. recognized institute with First Class Boiler Attendant Certificate of Competency.
2. Age limit:
- Manager (Boiler and Turbine Operation): 18 to 37 years
- Management Trainee (Tech.) Fire: 18 to 28 years
- Jr. Manager: 18 to 30 years
- Fire Operator (Trainee), Fireman-cum-Fire Engine Driver (Trainee): 18 to 28 years
- Operator-cum-Technician (Boiler Operator): 18 to 30 years
- Operator-cum-Technician (Trainee) and Attendant-cum-Technician (Trainee): 18 to 28 years
- Overman, Mining Sirdar, and Surveyor: maximum 28 years (as on 10 March 2019)
3. Selection procedure
- The Selection will be made on the basis of performance in the written test/Skill Test/Trade test/Physical Ability test and Interview.
- The written test will consist of 100 Objective type question in 2 segments; Technical Knowledge test for 80 marks and General aptitude test for 20 marks.
- The duration of the test would be for two hours.
- The minimum qualifying marks in the written test for unreserved/EWS posts will be determined based on 50 percentile score.
- For SC/ST/OBC (Non-creamy Layer)/PWD candidates, the minimum qualifying marks will be 40 percentile score.
|S No.||Job role||Salary|
|1.||Technical Staff(Executives & Non-Executives)||Rs.15,830- Rs.58,000/-month|
4. Management Trainee
- Disciplines: Mechanical, Metallurgy, Electrical, Chemical, Instrumentation and Mining Engineering.
The disciplines can vary based on the available vacancies and the number of posts.
|S no.||Disciplines||Eligible discipline|
|1.||Mechanical||Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical & Automation Engineering, Production & Industrial Engineering, Production Engineering/ Technology, Mechanical Production and Tool Engineering, Industrial Engineering/ Technology, Thermal Engineering, Manufacturing Process, and Automation, Mechatronics, Manufacturing Engineering/Technology, Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Energy Engineering, Machine Engineering, Mechatronics & Automation Engineering,|
|2.||Electrical||Electrical Engineering, Electrical Machine, Power Systems & High Voltage Engineering, Power Plant Engineering, Electronics & Power Engineering, Power Electronics/ Engineering, Electrical Instrumentation & Control Engineering, Electrical & Instrumentation Engineering, Electrical & Mechanical Engineering, Power Engineering, Electrical & Power Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering|
|3.||Metallurgy||Metallurgical Engineering, Material Sciences & Engineering/ Technology, Industrial Metallurgy|
|4.||Chemical||Chemical Engineering/Technology, Electro Chemical Engineering|
|5.||Instrumentation||Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Instrumentation, Electronics & Communication, Electronics & Telecommunication, Electronics & Control, Industrial Electronics, Applied Electronics, Engineering/ Technology, Electronics Design & Technology, Mechatronics, Electronics & Electrical, Electronics & Power, Electronics Communication & Instrumentation, Instrumentation Engineering/Technology, Instrumentation & Process Control/Engineering, Robotics & Automation/ Automation & Robotics, Communication Engineering, Control & Instrumentation Engineering|
|6.||Mining||Mining Engineering/ Technology, Mining & Machinery Engineering/ Mineral Engineering|
- Only Indians can apply
- Candidates must have completed full time 4 years’ bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology. Department candidates who are AMIE qualified are eligible.
- General and OBC (NCL) category candidates need to have secured minimum 65% aggregate marks (average of all semesters in all years).
- For the SC/ ST and PwD category candidates they must have minimum 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying test
- The Final year students are not eligible
- Age Limit The maximum age limit for the General category candidates is 28 years. Along with this age relaxation is also provided to various category students like:
- Relaxation of 5 years for SC &ST candidates.
- Relaxation of 3 years for OBC-NC candidates.
- 10 years for PWD (UR)
- 13 years for PWD (OBC-NC)
- 15 years for PWD (SC/ST) candidates
- Candidates domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during January 1, 1981 to December 31, 1990 can avail relaxation up to 5 years
- The Departmental candidates should not be more than 45 years
All candidates employed in Government/ Semi- Government/ Central/ State Government Departments/ Public Sector Undertakings are required to produce ‘No Objection Certificate’ from their employer during the interview if they are shortlisted.
The recruitment to Management Trainee is done through GATE which is why it is mandatory for the Candidates to have appeared for a different GATE paper other than the one in their graduation will not be considered for recruitment.
7. Selection Procedure of SAIL
- Shortlisting: On the basis of the merit list category-wise for each discipline on the basis of GATE 2019 marks (75% weightage)
- Pre-selection: Group Discussion (GD) (10% weightage)
- Personal Interviews (PI) (15% weightage)
- Final Selection: Medical Fitness as per SAIL guidelines
- Job Profile: Candidates will be selected as “Management Trainees (Technical) in E1 grade.
- Training & Probation: The selected candidates will have to undergo training for one year and thereafter on completion of successful training, they will be designated as Junior Managers.
- Pay Scale and Perks: Candidates will draw a basic pay of Rs. 20,600/- p.m. in the pay scale of Rs.20600-46500/-. On successful completion of training, candidates will be placed in the scale of pay of Rs. 24900-50500/- and the total Cost to Company (CTC) will be 9 lakhs.
- Other perks: Besides Basic Pay, the MTT will also be paid Dearness Allowance. They will also be entitled for perquisites under cafeteria approach and benefits such as PF, Gratuity and other allowances as per rules of the Company in vogue. The CTC would be around, 9 (Nine) lakhs per annum. In addition, the Company provides benefits like Leave encashment, Housing/HRA and free medical facility for self and dependants as per Company rules. Being direct recruitment on initial basic pay, the Company will not bear any liability on account of Salary eave salary/pension contribution, notice period pay of your previous employment etc. if any.
- Placement: f selected, the candidates can be posted to any Plant Unit/Mine location of the Company. The candidates will not be allowed to seek/apply for transfer to any other plant unit location of the Company during the initial four years of service. For departmental candidates, this restriction will be for initial two years of service.
The SAIL is an organisation which provides the candidates with the best work environment and learning opportunities. It is a dream job for various students and required hard work and dedication to qualify for the organisation. SAIL offers immense opportunities for growth and development and thus is one of the best government organisation to work with. It offers the best of both government and private organisation and helps nurture your knowledge and management skills.
We hope you like the article. Please feel free to contact us if you have any queries.