Before diving into the eligibility criteria for Indian Engineering Services (IES), also known as Engineering Services Examination (ESE), lets get to know a little about the exam itself.
After 4 years of our engineering graduation, we all long for a secure, respectable and powerful job profile, where we can bring our 4 years of knowledge to best use. While we all aspire for the same dream, some of us miss out on the best opportunity the government provides us to fulfill our aspirations. An opportunity to work as a civil servant looking after the technical and managerial functions of the Government of India. It provides the chance to work on government’s already running projects and help to improve them, and also to contribute dearly on the new projects which are still to see the light of the day.
Indian Engineering Services or Engineering Services Examination, conducted annually by UPSC to recruit engineers of various domains is considered as one of the toughest examination in the country as it tests the technical aspect of every student. Every year lakhs of student give the exam but only a handful, some thousands are successful in starting their careers as government employee. This number further comes down to hundred when we talk about the number of selected candidates in a specific branch. Like this year for Mechanical it was just 136, for civil 161, for E & T 106, for electrical it is 108.
The candidates selected after the final result subsequent to medical checkup are posted in various Ministries and Departments of GOI such as Railways, Telecom, Border Roads, CPWD, CWC, CPES, NHAI, Naval Armaments, IDSE, MES, Ordnance Factories etc. Later in their career, they are allowed to move to any cadre, organization, agency, department, ministry or PSU of the Government of India. All the selected candidates are designated Class-1 officers.
|Mode of Application||Online (Both English and Hindi)|
|Minimum Qualification||Bachelor’s in engineering from a recognized university|
|Mandatory documents required||Scanned copy of academic certificates, photograph and signature|
|Application Fee||General Category- Rs 200
Females and Reserved Category- Exempted
|Categories of exam
(Every student must choose from the 4 domains mentioned)
|Civil , Electrical, Mechanical and Electronics And telecommunication|
|Selection Process||Phase 1 (Prelims)
Phase 2 (Mains)
Phase 3 (Personality Test)
Phone no. 011‐23385271/011‐23381125/011‐23098543
If you still have some confusion regarding the exam visit us at: https://bit.ly/2RiKPRR
After some brief introduction about the exam let’s now discuss the eligibility criteria that every candidate is suppose to fulfill in order to apply for the exam.
Eligibility for Engineering Services Examination
Every year during the month of September, UPSC releases the notification for the ESE examination along with the Engineering Services Examination eligibility criteria, syllabus and any more necessary information. The eligibility criteria for the Engineering Services Examination is 5 fold, and we shall go through and discuss them one by one. Every criterion is mandatory and failing even one can also lead to disqualification in the later stage.
A. Nationality :
The UPSC specifies the nationality conditions for appearing for the Engineering Services Examination. A candidate must be a citizen of one of the following nations:
- India or
- Nepal or
- Bhutan or
- A Tibetan refugee who migrated to India 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India or
- An Indian origin personnel who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the purpose of permanently settling in India.
For applying in the last 4 categories one must have an government sanctioned eligibility certificate in favor of him/her.
B. Age Limit:
- The lower limit for a candidate appearing in the Engineering Services Examination is 21 years and the upper limit for the same is 30 years.
- Age relaxation is also provided to various candidates*:
There are some important points that we must keep in mind.
- DATE OF BIRTH: The commission will only accept date of birth as recorded in the matriculation/secondary examination certificate or an equivalent certificate on the date of submission of application, which will not be subject to any changes in the later stage of the recruitment. Therefore, take special care of the date of birth you mention.
- RESERVATION: A signed certificate from government authorities must be obtained in order to claim any form of reservation. Only a valid certificate will be accepted and the commission will conduct a background verification of all the information filled in by the candidate.
- More than one reservation: If any candidate is eligible for more than one reservation, an aggregate reservation for both the categories will be provided to the candidate. e.g. SC/ST/OBC Candidates, who are also covered under any other clauses viz., those coming under the category of Ex‐servicemen, persons domiciled in the State of J&K, Loco motor Disability including Cerebral Palsy, Leprosy cured, Dwarfism, Acid Attack victims & Muscular Dystrophy and Hard of Hearing etc. will be eligible for grant of aggregate relaxation under both the categories.
For further details, read the official notification from UPSC at https://bit.ly/2RxVrfU
- Employees: In the case of contractual employees they must be working continuously for at least 3 years in a temporary service on a regular basis in the particular Department/Office
- Government Employees : With respect to the below mentioned table for any Government employees applying for the ESE examination the candidate must be an employee of the departments mentioned In Column 1 and must have applied for posts mentioned in column 2.
- c. Educational Qualifications:
For applying to the ESE the candidate must fulfill at least one of the below mentioned educational qualification:
- The candidate should have a degree in Engineering from a recognized institute with the minimum percentage required. OR
- The candidate should have passed Sections A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India) OR
- The candidate must have Obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from any foreign University/College/Institution and under the conditions as will be recognized by the Government for the purpose from time to time. OR
- The candidate should have passed a Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India); OR
- The candidate should have Passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India. OR
- Passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November, 1959. OR
- A candidate applying for the post of Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering Posts) and Indian Radio Regulatory Service Group ‘A’ may possess any of the above qualifications or the qualification mentioned below namely:‐
- For Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engg. Posts) ‐ M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject.
- For Indian Radio Regulatory Service – M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a subject or Master’s Degree in Science with Physics and Radio Communication or Electronics or Telecommunication as a special subject.
There are some important points that we must keep in mind.
A. Final year students: A candidate who has appeared or intends to appear for an examination, passing of which he may fulfill one of the above qualifications is also eligible to apply, but the admission will depend on providing proof of the requisite qualifying examination.
B. Special case: Admission of a candidate who has passed an examination conducted by other institutions or has a degree from a foreign university not recognized by the Government will be to the discretion of the Commission.
- Candidates recommended will undergo a Medical examination at various Railway hospitals (under Ministry of Railways).
- The candidates should carry Government issued Photo ID card and three passport size photographs with them during the medical examination. For the Candidates who are recommended against Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD) vacancies it is mandatory that they carry their Certificate of Disability
- For detailed medical fitness criteria in a lucid and simple language please check out the following link : https://bit.ly/2E1drvn
D. Physical Standards
Every year physical standards are provided by the commission for the ESE examination and a candidate must be physically fit as per those standards, failing to do so can result in cancellation of the application of the candidate in any given stage. The standards for the examination are mentioned below:
Height and Chest Measurement
|Gr’A’ In Border Roads Organization||Height -152cm
Chest Girth : 84+5
|Height – 150cm
Chest Girth -79+5
|MES Service Gr ‘A’
Indian Ordnance Factories Service Gr’A’
|Expansion 5 cm||Expansion 5 cm|
So UPSC has provided the above mentioned eligibility conditions for applying, qualifying and joining the Indian Engineering Services. Failing to fulfill any criteria may also result in disqualification in any stage of the admission process. Be very careful to read all the conditions with patience and sincerity so that you can be sure about the little details of the examination and choose your choice of the service accordingly.
For more information about the exam and eligibility criteria in further detail, do read the notification at https://bit.ly/2RxVrfU
It is not the goal that matters, but the journey we take, that determines our success
Join hands with our team, and we promise to make you aggress.