National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) is a Navratna CPSE under Ministry of Mines. Established on 7th January 1981, its registered office is at Bhubaneswar. The Company is a group ‘A’ CPSE, having integrated and diversified operations in mining, metal, and power. NALCO is the first Public Sector Company in the country to venture into the international market in a big way with London Metal Exchange (LME) registration since May 1989. The Company pursues its R&D activities fervently and has already filed 36 patents out of which 17 patents have been granted and 6 have been commercialised till May 2019.
As a part of its effort to convert waste to wealth, the Company is endeavouring to salvage iron concentrate from red mud, Gallium from spent liquor. The Company has also successfully commissioned a first of its kind de-fluoridation process based on nano-technology to de-contaminate the effluent water of Smelter solving a long standing fluoride contamination problem of the area. The Company has taken the responsibility of Shri Jagannath Temple, Puri & its surrounding under PM’s Iconic Shrine Development Programme.
Table of Contents
NALCO is one of the largest integrated Bauxite-Alumina-Aluminium- Power Complex in the Country.
The Company has registered sales offices in Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore and 10 operating stockyards at various locations in the Country to facilitate domestic marketing. Globally, NALCO has achieved the distinction of being the ‘lowest cost producer of bauxite’ in the world for the year 2018 as per the latest report of Wood Mackenzie. This achievement adds to the fact that the company has maintained its status as the lowest cost producer of alumina globally since the last three years.
NALCO is headquartered at Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
NALCO operates from two major Units
- Mining and Refinery (M&R) complex
Bauxite Mines located at Panchpatmali hills, Koraput with capacity of 6825,000 TPA
Alumina Refinery located at Damanjodi, Odisha with capacity of 2275,000 TPA
- Smelter and Power (S&P) complex
Aluminium Smelter located at Angul, Odisha with capacity of 460,000 TPA
Captive Power Plant located at Angul, Odisha with capacity of 1200 MW
- Port Facilities at Visakhapatnam and Paradip.
- Wind Power Plants
Gandikota, Andhra Pradesh – 50.4 MW (2.1MW, 24 nos. WEGs)
Ludarwa, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan – 47.6 MW (0.85 MW, 56 nos. WEGs)
Devikot, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan – 50 MW (2 MW, 25 nos. WEG)
Sangli, Maharashtra – 50.4 MW (2.1MW, 24 nos. WEGs)
- Solar Power at Nalco Corporate Office, Bhubaneswar & NALCO Research & Technology Center, Bhubaneswar
- Regional offices at Kolkata, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai & Bangalore
- 10 operating stockyards at various locations in the Country
Main products of NALCO are as follows
- Aluminium Metal
- Alumina & Hydrate
- Rolled Product
Aluminium Rolled Products
Aluminium Chequered Sheets
Every year National Aluminium Company Limited recruits engineers for various vacancies in the organisation. A brief about all the vacancies have been mentioned below:
1. Graduate Engineer Trainees
National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) recruits Graduate Engineer Trainees through GATE. Candidates who wish to apply for NALCO recruitment through must have a valid GATE score and must be a graduate in either Mechanical or Electrical or Metallurgy or Electronics or Instrumentation Engineering programme. Candidates applying for the recruitment process have to fill in all details and pay required application fee. Candidates will be selected on the basis of GATE score secured by the candidate.
- Eligibility: The candidate must be an Indian and an Engineering Graduate.
- Educational Qualifications: Candidates must have passed B.E/B.Tech with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks or equivalent CGPA – an average of all the semesters/years, irrespective of the weightage given to any particular semester/year by the Institute / University. (The total maximum marks and total marks obtained for all years/semesters will be summed up to arrive at aggregate percentage. No rounding off will be done and no weightage will be given to any particular semester or year). Final year students are also eligible to apply provided they submit proof of their eligibility by the time the interview is conducted.
- Disciplines required: Mechanical, Electrical, Metallurgy, Electronics, Instrumentation Engineering
- Age limit: The upper age limit for applying to NALCO is 30 years for general candidates. Relaxation for reserved candidates as per norms. Relaxation to different category candidates as follows
5 years for SC & ST
3 years for OBC-NC
10 years for PWD (UR)
13 years for PWD (OBC-NC)
15 years for PWD (SC/ST) candidates
Candidates domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during January 1, 1981 to December 31, 1990 can avail relaxation up to 5 years
Ex-servicemen & Commissioned Officers (including ECOs/ SSCOs) – 5 years’ relaxation subject to rendering minimum 5 years service in Armed Forces and fulfilment of other conditions prescribed by the Government of India.
- Selection Procedure: On the basis of score secured in GATE 2019 candidates will be shortlisted. Shortlisted candidates will have to appear in a personal interview with his/her original GATE-2019 admit card and scorecard for the process of verification and other relevant documents which will be communicated through personal interview call letter.
- Training/ Probation: Candidates will have to undergo a training for a period of 1 year. On successful completion of training, candidates will be absorbed as Junior Manager in E-1 grade.
- Pay Scale: Candidates will be paid on a pay scale of Rs 40000 – 3% -140000/- during one-year training. Thereafter, they will be absorbed as Jr. Manager at E1 grade on the pay scale of Rs 60000-3%-180000/-. The approximate CTC would be Rs 10.52 lakhs per annum during the training period and Rs 15.73 lakhs per annum after confirmation. Besides basic pay, the employee will be entitled to Dearness Allowance, perquisite under cafeteria approach, HRA, a medical facility for self & dependents and superannuation benefits i.e. Contributory Provident Fund, Gratuity, etc. as per rules of the Company in force from time to time during training/after absorption.
- Documents required: Candidates will have to upload a scanned image of all documents in .jpg format and within 100 KB in size.
Copy of GATE 2019 admit card
Passport size photograph similar to one pasted in GATE form
Scanned copy of Signature same as provided in GATE
Prescribed qualification/mark sheet as per the requisite qualification
e-Payment Receipt must be in pdf format
Important: A candidate can apply for one post/discipline only. Candidates applying for more than one post/discipline will not be considered.
2. Civil Engineers:
- Educational Qualifications: Full time regular Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technology in Civil from reputed universities/institutes with not less than 60% marks in aggregate.
- Age limit: The upper age limit for applying to NALCO is 35 years for general candidates. Relaxation for reserved candidates as per norms.
- Experience: Two years’ relevant post qualification work experience in the rural sector is preferable.
- Responsibilities: The Civil Engineer will be responsible for all the project activities of Nalco Foundation includes designing, planning, estimation, layout, monitoring and documenting the undertaken by the Foundation and will also play a supportive role to the Chief Operating Officer of the foundation
- Compensation Package: The selected candidates for Civil Engineer will be paid consolidated monthly remuneration of ` 40000/- per month.
- Selection: Candidates will be short-listed for the group discussion subject to fulfilling the criteria as specified. The candidates who will qualify the group discussion will only be called for personal interview in a ratio of 1:10 from the group discussion score. Based on the performance in the personal interview taking into account the organisational requirement, the candidates will be selected. No TA/DA to be paid to the candidates for written test and/or personal interview.
The company since inception has marched ahead with sustainable growth, perpetual profits while exhibiting deep empathetic concern for the society. Etched in the hearts of millions of people of Odisha as modern industrial “Konark”, the company has been able to create a special place for itself for the people it works with. Enhancing the stakeholder’s wealth has remained the prime mover to steam Company’s growth but nonetheless the driving spirit remains to bring smiles in the face of multitude of its stakeholders.
With its amazing culture and open-door policy NALCO is one the best public sector organisation to work with. To achieve its vision “To be an agent to engineer holistic development” NALCO Foundation looks for committed, promising and passionate professionals with brilliant academic carrier to join the Nalco Foundation. If you are looking for an organisation to improve your skills and learn from the experts NALCO is a great organisation one of the best in its genre. NALCO Foundation ensures community participation, accountability, sustainability and measurable results, through:
- Baseline surveys and needs assessment
- Identification of projects
- Selection of implementing agencies
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Social auditing by independent bodies
- Documentation of experience
The company offers good perks along with a balanced professional and personal life. We have tried to provide all the information necessary about the National Aluminium Company Limited. If you have any more queries or issues you can write to us and we will make sure to answer all your doubts.