UPSC announced the results for ESE Prelims 2018 on 17th February 2018 and scheduled the MAINS examination on 1st July 2018. ESE, being an entry point to the highly esteemed government jobs, is definitely a big examination with thousands of candidates appearing for it, from all across India. ESE 2018 Preliminary Examination was conducted in 42 cities across India and Mains examination was conducted in 24 cities. Surely, every candidate must have put in a tremendous amount of hard work to prepare their best for the examination and now, that the examination is over, each one you must be desperately awaiting the results.
The entire process, comprising of the two stages of Written Examinations conducted in offline mode, an Interview and the Recruitment, comes under UPSC. The ESE 2018 is conducted in 3 stages:
Stage 1: Preliminary Examination – It comprises of 2 objective type papers, one on General Studies and Engineering Aptitude and another on Engineering Discipline.
|Paper – I||Objective||General Studies and Engineering Aptitude||2 Hours||300 Marks|
|Paper – II||Objective||Engineering Discipline||3 Hours||300 Marks|
Stage 2: Mains Examination – It comprises of 2 Conventional type papers on the chosen Engineering Discipline. Each Paper is of 3 Hours duration and 300 Marks.
|Paper – I||Conventional||Engineering Discipline||3 Hours||300 Marks|
|Paper – II||Conventional||Engineering Discipline||3 Hours||300 Marks|
Stage 3: Personality Test/Interview – It is allotted 200 marks with no minimum qualifying marks.
Candidates appearing for the interview are assessed based on various important qualities namely – leadership skills, initiative and intellectual curiosity, mental and physical energy, tact and other social qualities, power of practical application and integrity of character.
Considered as the toughest examination in India and one of the toughest in the world due to the extremely small selection ratio, it is very important to leave no stone unturned. Work hard and smart at the same time. Stay peaceful while attempting the questions. And make sure that you have read all the instructions listed on the front page of the question paper very carefully before you start attempting the questions.
Instructions for ESE Mains 2018 were as follows:
- There are EIGHT questions divided in two Sections.
- A candidate has to attempt FIVE questions in all.
- Question No. 1 and 5 are compulsory and out of the remaining, THREE are to be attempted choosing at least ONE question from each Section.
- The number of marks carried by a question/part is indicated against it.
- Assume suitable data, if considered necessary and indicate the same clearly.
- Unless otherwise mentioned, symbols and notations carry their usual standard meanings.
- Attempts of questions shall be counted in sequential order. Unless struck off, attempt of a question shall be counted even if attempted partly.
- Any page or portion of the page left blank in the QCA Booklet must be clearly struck off
- Answers must be written in ENGLISH only.
Remember, instructions listed here were taken from ESE 2018 MAINS examination and there is always a possibility of change in examination pattern so do not skip the instructions.
UPSC has tentatively scheduled the announcement of result for MAINS examination as first week of August 2018, post which, the qualifying candidates will be called by the board for the next and final stage of the selection process – Personality Test/Interview.
UPSC plans to recruit a total of 588 engineers through IES examination out of the 4206 candidates that qualified for IES MAINS 2018. The number of candidates that qualified for IES MAINS 2018 for each branch was as follows:
|Department||No. of Candidates Qualified|
|Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering||769|
As with the Preliminary Examination, the result for Mains Examination will also be declared on the official UPSC website.
Steps to check ESE MAINS 2018 Result:
- Visit upsc.gov.in/whats-new
- Once the result is announced, you will see a link ‘Written Result: Engineering Services (Mains) Examination 2018’. Click on this to download the PDF.
- Open the PDF and in it, search for your roll number. To do this, press Ctrl + F on the keyboard, enter your roll no. in the search box that appears and press enter.
- Ensure to save the downloaded PDF or take a printout for future reference.
The Next Step:
UPSC will shortlist candidates, twice the no. of vacancies, who will then be called upon for an Interview/Personality Test.
The final result, expected to be declared in September 2018, will be prepared on the basis of candidate’s performance in the Preliminary Exam, Mains Exam and the Personality Test.
In the meantime, the candidates can self-assess their performance using the Answer Keys that will soon be released by UPSC on their official website.
Steps to download the Answer Keys
- Visit upsc.gov.in/examinations/answer-keys.
- Year-wise Examination Answer Keys are listed on this page.
- Look for Engineering Services Examination 2018. All the papers and subjects will be listed along with a link beside them.
- Click on the links to view/download the answer keys for the respective papers.
There are thousands of candidates aspiring to secure a job in Indian Engineering Services every year. However only a very few successfully clear the 3 stage hurdle of Engineering Services Examination to reach their dream. All the candidates who appeared for the examination must be eagerly waiting for the results. We wish you all the best. In case you have any queries regarding the results or the further process, leave a comment and we would be glad to help you in every possible way.