The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), India’s premier nuclear research facility headquartered in Trombay, Mumbai, Maharashtra, is a dream for many engineering jobs. It is a multi-disciplinary research centre with extensive infrastructure for advanced research and development covering the entire spectrum of nuclear science, engineering and related areas.
With a mandate to sustain peaceful applications of nuclear energy, primarily for power generation, it manages all facets of nuclear power generation, from theoretical design of reactors to, computerized modeling and simulation, risk analysis, development and testing of new reactor fuel materials, etc.
Every year BARC invites applications for engineering graduates for training in two courses and on successful completion of these courses, candidates get jobs as Scientific Officer ‘C’ in one of the DAE units or Atomic Energy Regulatory Board. The applications are invited for the graduates in the field of Chemical, Mechanical, Metallurgy, Electrical, Electronics, Civil, Computer Science and Instrumentation.
The two courses are as follows:
- Orientation Course for Engineering Graduates and Science Postgraduates (OCES)
- DAE Graduate Fellowship Scheme for Engineering Graduates and Physics Postgraduates (DGFS)
Deemed as one of the most prestigious organizations in the recent times, BARC has shown a tremendous growth in its research and missions. Right from Nuclear Fuels Design & Fabrication to Reprocessing & Waste Management BARC has brought India in the map of Nuclear science around the globe. Joining an organization like BARC presents to you an opportunity to learn from the best minds in the country and contribute to the growth and development of the nation.
Along with a decent stipend during training after the joining and immense perks, the job offers you a perfect work like balance owing to its timing of 8 hours. So to all the students who have interest in aerospace and are willing to join BARC this article will help clear all your doubts.
For better understanding the recruitment process in BARC this article will be divided into 5 parts:
- Exam pattern and syllabus
- Cut off
- Job Profile
- Life in BARC
It is the basic requirement that BARC expects from the candidates appearing for the BARC entrance exam. Accordingly, the eligibility criteria are of various types: Age, Educational Qualification and others
- For the General Category, the age limit is 26 years,
- For the OBC Category, the age limit is 29 years,
- For the SC/ST Category, the age limit is 31 years,
- For candidates who are dependents of those who died in the riots of 1984 (Dep1984) -31 years,
- For candidates domiciled in Kashmir Division of Jammu & Kashmir State from 01/01/1980 to 31/12/1989 (Dom Kashmir) –31 years,
- For candidates who are Physically Challenged (PWD) of all categories are eligible for additional age relaxation of 10 years
The BARC requirement for the scientist are graduates in the field of Civil, Electrical, Architecture, Mechanical, Electronics, computer science and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning streams. Accordingly, the Educational Qualification for the candidates is:
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post must have qualified B.E/B.Tech or equivalent qualifying degree in first class with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks or CGPA of 6.84 on a scale of 10.
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post who are in their final year of qualifying degree are eligible to apply if their final graduation degree will be available before the final results and they secure an aggregate of 65% marks or CGPA 6.84 (average of all semesters for which results are available).
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post who have done their diploma followed by B.E/B.Tech (Lateral Entry) are also eligible provided they have passed their degree in first class with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks or CGPA 6.84 on a scale of 10.
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post and are Associate Member of the Institution of Engineers (AMIE) candidates can also apply to BARC but special conditions are specified for these candidates so AMIE candidates wishing to apply must check if they are eligible before applying.
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post who have passed M.E/M.Tech with B.Tech are eligible to apply provided their B.Tech marks meet the eligibility specified above.
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post who have studied integrated course of B.E/B.Tech and M.E/M.Tech are also eligible for the BARC examination. These candidates must produce their Graduation certificate for B.E/B.Tech separately in first class with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks or CGPA 6.84 on a scale of 10.
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post with part-time B.E/B.Tech degree are also eligible.
- All the candidates interested in applying for the post Candidates who have done their B.E or B.Tech through correspondence course not eligible.
- The above mentioned qualifications and the benchmark set is only the MINIMUM requirement. Fulfilling the same does not automatically make candidates eligible for Written Test.
- For all the candidates who want to apply for the post of architect will have to produce the Registration Certificate for having registered with the Council of Architecture, at the time of Interview, failing which he/she will not be allowed for interview
The Educational eligibility criterion is valid for select discipline only. The below mentioned are the discipline and their eligible subjects for BARC exam.
|Discipline||Eligible Subject/ Discipline in B.E./B.Tech./B.Sc. (Engg.)/ 5-Year integrated M.Tech. as awarded by University / Institute||GATE Subject|
|Mechanical||Mechanical Engineering||Mechanical Engineering|
|Chemical||Chemical Engineering||Chemical Engineering|
|Metallurgical||Metallurgy / Metallurgy & Materials Engineering / Metallurgy & Materials Science / Metallurgical Engineering / Metallurgical & Materials Engineering / Metallurgical Engineering & Materials Science / Materials Science & Engineering||Metallurgical Engineering|
|Electrical||Electrical Engineering / Electrical & Electronics Engineering||Electrical Engineering|
|Electronics||Electrical Engg. / Electronics Engg. / Electronics & Communication Engg. / Electronics & Controls Engg. / Electrical & Electronics Engg. / Electronics & Instrumentation Engg.||Electronics & Communication Engg.|
|Computer Science||Computer Science / Computer Engineering||Computer Science & Information Technology|
|Instrumentation||Instrumentation Engg. / Electronics & Instrumentation Engg.||Instrumentation Engineering|
|Civil||Civil Engineering||Civil Engineering|
|Nuclear Engineering*||Nuclear Engineering / Nuclear Technology / Nuclear Science & Technology||NOT ELIGIBLE through GATE|
Others eligibility criteria for BARC exam
- Candidates must be a citizen of India only.
- A valid GATE score is required by the organization in the same engineering discipline as the qualifying degree discipline.
- Candidates whose final results are awaited are also eligible to apply.
- However, if such a candidate is selected, he/she must submit their mark-sheet of final result
- Applicants who are working in Central or State Governments or their Units / PSUs / Aided Institutes should produce a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from their organization at the time of Selection Interview, failing which they may not be interviewed.
- BARC online Application form
After the application form is available, all the candidates who are interested in applying for BARC exam can visit the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre website’s career section.
Activation: First step of filling the BARC online application form is activating the application number. There are two ways in which this can be done: Through email or by phone.
Filling the BARC online application: Once the application number has been activated the candidate has to login and fill in the necessary details mentioned in the application form. Some of the details to be mentioned are personal information, educational qualifications, job experience followed by the payment portal.
Final Submission: After one has completed the application form with the final submit button the application form will be completed.
BARC exam Pattern and BARC exam Syllabus
BARC Online Exam: The BARC recruitment examination is designed to check the understanding and application of various concepts of the candidates in their respective branches.
- The BARC exam mode is Online with the language of the paper being completely English.
- The questions are totally objective type with both multiple choice questions.
- The total number of questions asked in the BARC online exam is 100.
- The duration of the examination is 120 minutes.
- The marking of the questions is simple with every correct answer awarding 3 marks to the candidates and every negative answer deducts 1 marks.
- The use of Physical calculators are not allowed in the BARC exam, however, virtual calculators will be available for making the calculations easier for the candidates
BARC Recruitment Interview:
- Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of their performance in GATE or the BARC Online exam and will be called for personal interview.
- The candidates are supposed to attend the interview with all their testimonials in original along with a set of copies.
- Selection Interviews of short-listed candidates will be conducted in Mumbai (in all disciplines except Geology and Geophysics) and Hyderabad (in Geology and Geophysics).
- Outstation applicants will be paid two-way second-class sleeper train fare, from their registered residential address, by shortest route or actual fare whichever is less.
- Candidates who clear the interview will be selected as “Scientific Officer”.
The syllabus for the BARC Online Exam is specific to the Engineering discipline which a candidate has selected. Questions will be based to assess the candidate’s understanding of subjects in the engineering discipline selected. Emphasis would be on the knowledge and problem-solving ability. General English, General Knowledge, Aptitude etc of candidates are not assessed.
Considered as one of the most prestigious organization BARC online exam is conducted to test the technical understanding and application of the concepts of various candidates in their respective streams.
BARC recruitment Syllabus for the Phase 2 entrance exam for the four main branches is mentioned below. For the sub branches the syllabus will depend on the branch being applied from.
Building Materials, Surveying, Transportation Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Hydraulics, Irrigation Engineering, Estimating, Costing, and Valuation, Environmental Engineering, Structural Engineering, Theory of Structures, RCC Design, Steel Design, Concrete Technology
Basic concepts, Circuit law, AC Fundamentals, Basic Electronics, Measurement and Measuring Instruments, Electrical Machines, Fractional Kilowatt Motors, Single phase induction Motors, Synchronous Machines, Magnetic Circuit, Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Estimation and Costing, Utilization and Electrical Energy.
|3.||Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
Applied Mathematics for Thermal Engineers, Advanced Thermodynamics, Advanced Heat Transfer, Refrigeration Systems Design, Air Conditioning Systems Design, Computer Simulation of Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems, Instrumentation for Thermal Systems, Design of Condensers Evaporators and Cooling Towers
|4.||Electronics Engineering||Analog electronics, digital electronics, Microprocessor, Electronic devices and circuits, networks, computer engineering, Measurement and Instrumentation, control system, signals and systems, communication, electromagnetic|
|5.||Computer science Engineering||Algorithms, Programming and data structures, computer networks, computer organization and architecture, databases, operating system, digital logic, theory of computation and compiler design, discrete mathematics, software engineering|
|6.||Mechanical Engineering||Strength of material, thermodynamics, Machine Design , fluid Mechanics, Productions, Theory of machines, Heat Transfer, Engineering mechanics, Industrial Engineering and Engineering material|
|The syllabus of the written test will be based on the curriculum taught in B.Arch|
BARC recruitment Cut-off
Each year depending on the exam pattern, difficulty of the exam, number of candidates applied and the vacancies available the BARC cut off marks for the recruitment of scientist varies.
For the year 2018 and 2017 according to the BARC result the cut off through GATE was as mentioned below.
|Discipline||Cut off GATE Score
|Cut off GATE Score
|Cut off GATE Score
The cut off for BARC recruitment online exam for the year 2017 and 2018 is:
- Final selection and job profile for BARC recruitment
- After the final selection all the selected candidates for both the DGFS and OCES program based on their interview.
|S No.||DGFS Training Program||OCES Training Program|
|1.||The program inducts engineers at M.Tech./M.Chem.Engg. level in collaboration with eight IITs viz. Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Roorkee, BHU-Varanasi and also NIT-Rourkela and ICT-Mumbai.||The OCES course work consists of classroom lectures, practical training and project work, is organized into three trimesters and is completed in one year.|
|2||It aims to strengthen the research-education linkage with premier institutes of the country in areas of interest to DAE.||It aims to ensure that the Trainee Scientific Officers (TSOs) are provided with the necessary facilities and opportunities to acquire knowledge and develop skills in R&D pertaining to Nuclear Science & Technology|
|3||The M. Tech. project work is carried out under the supervision of two guides, one from IIT and the other from DAE.||The OCES program is recognized for the award of Post-Graduate Diploma and as course work for the award of M.Tech./M.Phil./Ph.D. degree of the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), an aided institution of the Department of Atomic Energy|
|4||The DGFS fellows are enrolled and posted in one of the following units of DAE :
a) BARC, Mumbai
b) IGCAR, Kalpakkam
The OCES Programs are conducted at BARC Training Schools at the locations listed below
BARC Training School at Mumbai
BARC Training School at Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam
BARC Training School at Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology(RRCAT), Indore
BARC Training School at Nuclear Fuel Complex, Hyderabad
Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD), Hyderabad
- OCES (Orientation Course for Engineering and Science post) is the flagship programmed for one-year graduation program for Engineering graduates and Science post-graduates. It is conducted by DAE at the BARC Training Schools situated at Mumbai, Kalpakkam, Indore and Hyderabad.
- After the completion of the training program all the candidates/Trainee Scientific Officer (TSO)who secure a minimum of fifty percent aggregate marks will be declared to have completed the training successfully and will be subsequently posted in any one of the DAE units as Scientific Officers.
- DGFS (DAE Graduate Fellowship Scheme) is for Engineering Graduates and Physics Postgraduates . It is for duration of two years.
- The job profile of a Scientific Officer mainly involves research and development pertaining to nuclear science and technology.
During the training:
- During the time of the training the TSOs are provided with all the necessary facilities and opportunities to acquire knowledge and also enhance knowledge and develop skills mainly with respect to research and development with regard to nuclear science and technology
- The OCES TSOs are paid a stipend of INR 35,000 during the period of their Trainingwhereas the DGFS Fellows are paid a stipend of INR 20,000 per month during their M.Tech.
- Both OCES TSOs and DGFS Fellows are paid a one-time book allowance of INR 10,000. .
- Appointment in all the units will be as a Scientific Officer (C) in the PAY BAND-III (15,600 INR-39,100 INR) with a Grade Pay of 5,400 INR.
- The appointment is made at the beginning of the pay scale with OCES TSOs getting two or three increments depending on their performance during the OCES program.
- DGFS Fellows get three or four increments depending on their performance in M.Tech./M.Chem.Engg. and four-month Orientation Course for DGFS Fellows (OCDF).
- Total Monthly Emoluments (with three increments) at the time of joining including Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, Transport Allowance at the present rate will be approximately 61,000 (upward pay revision is under consideration of the 7th Central Pay Commission).
- In addition to the above mentioned, other Allowances such as Leave Travel Concession by air, every year up to first eight years (subject to conditions) and once in two years thereafter, Children’s Education Allowance and an annual Professional Update Allowance are also payable.
- A comprehensive Contributory Health Service Scheme for employees and dependent family members is also available.
- All the DGFS Fellows whose performance is below a specified threshold receive zero increments.
Unlike the other government jobs, the BARC scientist has an interesting job to do depending on their stream. The Job profile for scientist varies depending on the post applied for and the stream.
- Appointment in all the units will be as a Scientific Officer (C) in the PAY BAND-III (15,600 INR-39,100 INR). Service Bond:All the Selected candidates are required to execute an agreement and a Personal Indemnity Bondto serve DAE for at least three years after completion of Training. The bond will be for Rs 4,30,000 for OCES TSOs and Rs 8,70,000 for DGFS Fellows
- The Bond amount for DGFS Fellows pursuing M. Tech. / M. Chem. Engg. at certain DGFS Institutes may be different, depending on the tuition fee at the concerned Institute.
Life in BARC
Compared with other government jobs, Job at BARC is different with its own perks and specialties.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre offers a lot of creative and rewarding career opportunities to the young qualified employees who like challenges in frontline areas of Nuclear Science and Technology and are keen to be a part of the expanding Indian nuclear power program.
- Being a research organization, there is a huge impetus to learning given in BARC, unlike anywhere else.
- The new employees and trainees are given special attention from the hierarchy of the department.
- The work culture is pretty plain simple with average age of the employees being higher. Therefore there is a lot to learn from all those experienced employees.
- Ample prospects are available for the young graduates to pursue innovative research in Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Geophysics, Engineering and Biosciences at BARC and other DAE units.
‘Technology makes it possible, but it is the people who make it happen’, is a well-known adage and with same objective BARC inducts engineering graduates to contribute towards the wefare of the nation.. BARC is a blessing which every engineer dreams of. Apart from being a job, it is a place which makes you proud of your accomplishment as it not only gives you the chance to increase your skills but also make the nation proud by developing and launching new missions and helping in the growth if the nation.
We hope this article has helped you, for more queries you can always write to us.