Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID), is an Indian state-owned electric utility company headquartered in Gurugram, India. POWERGRID transmits about 50% of the total power generated in India on its transmission network. Its former subsidiary company, Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO) handles power management for National Grid and all state transmission utilities. POWERGRID also operates a telecom business under the name POWERTEL. Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID) started functioning on management basis with effect from August 1991 and subsequently it took over transmission assets from NTPC, NHPC, NEEPCO, NLC, NPC, THDC, SJVNL, etc. in a phased manner and it commenced commercial operation in 1992-93.
According to its mandate, the Corporation, apart from providing transmission system for evacuation of central sector power, is also responsible for Establishment and Operation of Regional and National Power Grids to facilitate transfer of power within and across the Regions with Reliability, Security and Economy on sound commercial principles. Based on its performance POWERGRID was recognized as a Mini-ratna Category-I Public Sector Undertaking in October 1998 and conferred the status of “Navratna” by the Government of India in May 2008. POWERGRID, as the Central Transmission Utility of the country, is playing a major role in Indian Power Sector and is also providing Open Access on its inter-State transmission system.
- Powerlinks Transmission Limited: POWERGRID (49%), Tata Power Ltd. (51%)
- Torrent POWERGRID Limited: POWERGRID (26%), Torrent Power Limited (74%)
- Jaypee POWERGRID Limited: POWERGRID (26%), Jaiprakash Power Ventures Limited (74%)
- North-East Transmission Company Limited: POWERGRID (26%), ONGC Tripura Power Company Limited (26%), Govt. of Tripura (10%), Assam Electricity Grid Corporation Ltd (13%), Govt. of Mizoram (10%), Govt. of Manipur (6%), Govt. of Meghalaya (5%) & Govt. of Nagaland (4%)
- Parbati -Koldam Transmission Company Limited: POWERGRID (26%), Reliance Infrastructures Limited (74%)
- Teesta Valley Power Transmission Limited: POWERGRID (26%), Teesta Urja Limited (74%)
- National High Power Test Laboratory Pvt. Limited: POWERGRID (20%), NTPC (20%), NHPC (20%), DVC (20%) and CPRI (20%)
- Energy Efficiency Services Ltd: POWERGRID (5.58%), NTPC (36.36%), PFC (36.36%) and REC (21.70%)
- Cross Border Power Transmission Company Ltd: POWERGRID (26%), IL&FS Energy Development Company Ltd (38%), Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (26%) and NEA (10%)
- Bihar Grid Company Limited: POWERGRID (50%), Bihar Power (Holding) Company Limited (50%)
- Kalinga Bidyut Prasaran Nigam Private Limited: POWERGRID (50%), Odisha Power Transmission Corporation Limited (50%)
- Power Transmission Company Nepal Ltd. (PTCN): POWERGRID (26%), NEA (50%), Financial Institutes of Nepal (14%) and IL&FS Energy Development Company Ltd (10%) (IEDCL)
- RINL POWERGRID TLT Private Ltd. (RPTPL): POWERGRID (50%), Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd (50%)
Subsidiaries of Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
- POWERGRID NM Transmission Limited
- Vemagiri Transmission Limited
- Vizag Transmission Limited
- Unchahar Transmission Limited
- Kala Amb Transmission Limited
- Jabalpur Transmission Limited
- Warora Transmission Limited
- Parli Transmission Limited
- Southern Inerconnector Transmission System Limited
- Medinipur – Jeerat Transmission Limited
- Mithilanchal Transmission Limited
- Varanasi Transmission System Limited
- Jawaharpur Firozabad Transmission Limited (Now known as POWERGRID Jawaharpur Firozabad Transmission Limited)
- Khetri Transco Limited
POWERGRID’s telecom company, POWERTEL, operates a network of 47,735 Kilometres and points of presence in 688 locations across India.
1. SAP Professional (on contract)
(ABAP/ FICO/ SD/ MM/ BASIS/ Web Dynpro/ Enterprise Portal/ SRM/ PI)
Full time Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Information Technology/ Computer Science/ Computer Application/ Management/ Science/ Commerce/ Economics from recognized University/ Institute
- Candidates should have SAP Certification from SAP in concerned SAP module for which applied.
Essential Post Educational Qualification Experience
- Should have minimum 4 years post educational qualification experience.
- Out of the above, should have minimum 2 years’ experience in relevant module of SAP.
- Out of the above 2 years’ experience in relevant module, minimum one-year experience should be post SAP Certification in concerned SAP Specialization.
Upper Age Limit
- The upper age limit is 45 Years.
- For the SC/ST students an upper age relaxation of 5 years is provided to the students.
- OBC (NCL) students: an upper age relaxation of 3 years is provided to the students.
- PwD students: an upper age relaxation of 10 years is provided to the students.
Selection will involve Interview only, of the eligible and shortlisted candidates. However, the Management reserves the right to raise the minimum eligibility standards/criteria and/or to conduct a screening test, to restrict the number of candidates to be called for Personal Interview, if so required.
In case screening test is conducted, the same shall be qualifying in nature (40 % for UR and 30 % for reserved vacancy) and candidates qualifying in the screening test shall be shortlisted for interview based on their marks in screening test. Selection shall be done based on marks secured in interview only.
The decision of POWERGRID regarding scrutiny of application and shortlisting shall be final and binding. Shortlisted Candidates will have to qualify in the Interview to be adjudged suitable for recruitment. The qualifying marks in interview shall be as given below:
UR – 40%, EWS /OBC(NCL)/SC/PwD – 30%
Candidates shall have the option for appearing in the Personal Interview in Hindi or English.
2. Assistant Engineer Trainee
To take the growth curve to further heights, Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID) recruits Bright, Committed and Energetic engineers in Electrical / Electronics / Civil disciplines to join its fold as Assistant Engineer Trainee.
Selected candidates shall join POWERGRID as Assistant Engineer Trainees. After successful completion of 1-year training period, they shall be absorbed in the company as Engineers at E2 level.
Full Time B.E./ B. Tech/ B.Sc. (Engg.) from recognized University/ Institute
|1.||Electrical||Electrical/ Electrical (Power)/ Electrical and Electronics/ Power Systems Engineering/
Power Engineering (Electrical)
|2.||Electronics||Electronics / Electronics & Communication/ Electronics & Telecommunication / Electronics & Electrical Communication / Telecommunication Engg|
Pass percentage: The minimum qualifying marks for bring eligible to apply for Assistant Engineer Trainee is 65% or Equivalent CGPA.
The upper age limit for the Assistant Engineer Trainee is 28 years for the general category students. Special age relaxation is provided for various category students:
- For OBC (NCL) candidates: 3 years (for posts reserved for the respective category)
- SC/ST candidates: 5 years (for posts reserved for the respective category)
- PwD candidates: 10 years over and above category relaxation
- J&K Domicile / Ex- Servicemen/ Victims of riots: As per Govt. of India directives
Reservation/ relaxation/ concession shall be as per Government of India directives.
Persons suffering from not less than 40% of the relevant disability shall only be eligible for the benefit for PwD.
Relaxation in Marks in essential qualification for SC/ST/PwD candidates: Qualifying Marks in essential qualification is relaxed to pass marks for posts reserved for the respective category.
The Selection Process consists of marks obtained (out of 100) in the relevant paper of GATE, Group Discussion & Personal Interview.
Eligible candidates should have qualified and secured a valid score in the corresponding paper of GATE.
Candidates shall be short-listed category-wise for Group Discussion & Personal Interview based on their normalized marks out of 100 in GATE.
Candidates shall obtain information about their status through their login at the POWERGRID Online Application System. Shortlisted candidates shall be able to download their interview call letter and other relevant documents through the candidate login.
Candidates shortlisted for the Group Discussion and Interview shall be required to bring the documents as mentioned in their interview call letter.
Candidates must qualify in the Personal Interview in order to be considered for recruitment. The qualifying percentage in interview for different categories are as mentioned below:
OBC (NCL) / SC/ ST/ PwD- 30% (Depending on reservation of vacancies only.)
The Corporation offers a very attractive pay package and is one of the best in the Industry. Selected candidates will be placed in the pay scale of Rs. 40,000/- -3%- 140000(IDA) during the one-year training period. They shall be paid a stipend in the form of Basic Pay of Rs. 40,000/- along with IDA, HRA and Perks @12% of basic pay during training period.
On successful completion of training, the candidates will be absorbed as Engineers in E2 scale – Rs. 50,000/- 3%- 1, 60,000/- (IDA).
On regularization, the Compensation package includes Basic Pay, Dearness Allowance, Perquisites and Allowance as per cafeteria approach, Performance Related Pay, Company Leased Accommodation / Company Quarters or HRA, Reimbursement of monthly conveyance expenditure, mobile facility, PF, Gratuity, Pension & Leave encashment, Group Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance etc.
The Corporation also offers excellent facilities like Short and Long Term Loans & Advances including House Building Advance, Medical facilities for self and dependents, etc. to its regular employees in accordance with the policies of the organization from time to time.
Service Bond: The selected candidates will be required to execute a service agreement bond to successfully complete the prescribed training period and thereafter serve the organization for at least three years. The amount of the bond is INR 5,00,000/- plus applicable taxes for General/OBC (NCL) candidates and INR 2,50,000/- plus applicable taxes for SC/ST/PwD candidates.
Cut-Off for PGCIL (Power Grid Corporation of India Limited)
Candidates applying for Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID) can check the minimum marks used in the previous year for shortlisting of candidates for the Power Grid Recruitment through GATE. The GATE cutoff for PGCIL recruitment is listed as per the category below in the table for the reference of candidates.
PGCIL Cut off 2017
PGCIL Cut off 2016
PGCIL Cut off 2015
3. Assistant Engineer (Safety) – Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
Full time Graduate Engineering Degree in Electrical/ Electrical (Power)/ Electrical & Electronics/ Power Engineering (Electrical)/ Power Systems Engineering / Civil/ Mechanical discipline with 65% marks from recognised University/Institute with full time Post Graduate Degree/ Diploma in Industrial Safety with 65% from Labour Institutes (Central Labour Institute or Regional Labour Institute)/ recognized University.
Full time Graduate Engineering Degree in Industrial Safety with 65% marks from recognized university/institute.
Should have a post qualification executive experience of minimum one year in the IDA pay scale of Rs. 16400-40500 (pre-revised)/ Rs. 40000-140000 (revised) or equivalent level** as mentioned below:
Experience in Govt.: At least Gr-B Gazetted
Experience in Private Sector: Candidates should be in receipt of minimum monthly emoluments of Rs. 44800/- excluding medical, Leave encashment and employer‟s contribution towards Social Security for one year.
- Profile required: Candidates should have experience in safety implementation at work sites.
- Experience in erection/ operation and maintenance of 132 kV and above
- transmission system shall be preferred.
- Should have creative attitude, cost and quality consciousness, leadership capability.
- Experience in PSU /listed company particularly in power sector will be preferred.
The upper age limit is 30 years for all the general category candidates with special age relaxation to various category students.
For the SC/ST students an upper age relaxation of 5 years is provided to the students.
OBC (NCL) students: an upper age relaxation of 3 years is provided to the students.
PwD students: an upper age relaxation of 10 years is provided to the students.
The selection process shall consist of Scrutiny of Applications and Personal interview of shortlisted candidates. Applications of candidates shall be scrutinized based on the Job Specification given and the details of experience to be given by candidates.
Shortlisted Candidates will have to qualify in the Interview to be adjudged suitable for impalement for Appointment.
The qualifying marks in interview shall be as given below:
UR – 40%, SC/ST/OBC (NCL) – 30% (Depending on reservation of vacancies only)
Candidates shall have the option for appearing the Personal Interview in Hindi or English.
Candidates who qualify in the Personal Interview will only be adjudged suitable for impalement.
The Offer of Appointment shall be issued to the suitable candidates in the order of category wise merit and based on requirement.
Appointment of selected candidates will be subject to their being found medically fit in the Pre-Employment Medical Examination.
Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID) is one of the best organizations in the country. The Compensation package includes Basic Pay, Dearness Allowance, Perquisites on cafeteria approach, Performance Related Pay, Company Leased Accommodation / Company Quarters or HRA, Reimbursement of monthly conveyance expenditure, mobile facility, etc.
Along with basic amenities there are other excellent facilities like Short and Long Term Loans & Advances including House Building Advance, Conveyance Advance, Children’s’ Higher Education Advance etc on subsidized rates, Gratuity, Leave encashment etc. Be it becoming a parent or suffering from illness or pursuing higher studies. It also offers excellent social security and medical facilities to it’s employees.
Power grid offers a very growing environment and spends time, money and resources for all employees in order to help them grow as professionals and utilize their potential. The organisation also believes in employee empowerment at all the levels.
For all the candidates who are interested in applying for Power Grid Corporation of India Limited, the article provides all the basic information one must know. If you have any more queries or issues you can write to us and we will make sure to answer all your doubts.
This is not a job notification and should be treated or quoted as the same. The purpose of this article is to give the aspirants a detailed knowledge about the organization, the various job profiles and the procedure of recruitment. Job notifications are posted separately on our blog as and when they are published by the issuing authority.